Piper Jaffray Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight, Slashes EPS Estimates, Asks Clients To Employ Creative Valuation Methods
- S&P 500, Nasdaq hit record closing peaks on eve of Fed meeting
- Oil steadies after hitting 2-yr high as demand hopes face supply growth
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Pops 10% as Tesla's Musk Signals Another U-Turn on Bitcoin Payments
- Lordstown Motors (RIDE): CEO and CFO Resign, Presents Results of Investigation Of Hindenburg Research Report
- Paul Tudor Jones is 'Probably' Buying Commodities, Crypto, Gold if Fed Continues to Ignore Inflation Concerns, Endorses Bitcoin (BTC) as a Portfolio Diversifier
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Piper Jaffray upgraded Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Neutral to Overweight with a price target of $368.00 (from $223.00).
Analyst Alex Potter tells clients in a morning note that he and his team have driven a Tesla for seven months in preparation for this morning's report in which he is dramatically adjusting his FY 2017 EPS down (from a gain of $0.42 to a loss of $4.83). He upgrades the stock and raises his PT by 65 percent noting that investors might need to, and we quote, "employ a 'creative' valuation methodology and prepare for a bumpy ride" before following Potters advice.
Here's his material adjustment to 2017 EPS estimates to reflect inefficiencies in the Model 3 launch.
- Q1 2017 EPS goes from a loss of $0.12 to a loss of $0.78.
- Q2 2017 EPS goes from a loss of $0.13 to a loss of $0.82.
- Q3 2017 EPS goes from a gain of $0.15 to a loss $1.60.
- Q4 2017 EPS goes from a gain of $0.52 to a loss of $1.63
- FY 2017 EPS goes from a gain of $0.42 to a loss $4.83
Miraculously the stock is upgraded and the PT is raised by 65 percent.
The analyst also introduced EPS estimates for 2018:
- Q1 2018 EPS estimate is for a loss of $0.88.
- Q2 2018 EPS estimate is for a loss of $0.81.
- Q3 2018 EPS estimate is for a gain of $0.32.
- Q4 2018 EPS estimate is for a gain of $1.26.
- FY 2018 EPS estimate is for a loss $0.11.
Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $302.54 Friday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Soitec (SOI:FP) (SLOIF) PT Raised to EUR195 at Morgan Stanley
- Gujarat State Petronet (GUJS:IN) PT Raised to INR470 at Nomura/Instinet
- MorphoSys AG (MOR:GR) (MOR) PT Lowered to EUR76 at HSBC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Tesla, Model 3
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!