Morgan Stanley Snap Survey Shows More Would Rather Own an Index of Legacy Autos Versus Tesla (TSLA)
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
- Coinbase (COIN) To Add Dogecoin Trading in the Next Few Weeks
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas surveyed their e-mail list of institutional investors and industry experts last week on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) and asked one simple question: What would you rather own for the next 3 years?
2. An index of the top 10 market cap legacy OEM stocks (equal weighted) consisting of: GM, Ford, Stellantis, VW, Daimler, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Nissan, Honda.
60% of survey responses chose the legacy OEM index while 40% picked Tesla, Jonas notes.
Jonas offered the following thoughts from the survey results:
- Most of our client discussions reveal a sense that the legacy OEM’s call-optionality on EV exceeds any put-optionality on their ICE exposure.
- Admittedly, our question did not give a 3rd or 4th option of start-ups or big-tech players that will, over time, compete for capital in EVs.
- We note that our distribution list leans very much auto/industrial. We suspect the mix of answers could differ significantly if tech/ESG investors were surveyed.
The analyst reiterated an Overweight rating and $880.00 price target on TSLA.
Shares of Tesla closed at $677.02 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fisker (FSR) Gains on Plans to Manufacture EVs With Foxconn in US, Morgan Stanley Reiterates FSR as a Top-Rated EV Startup Thesis as Bull Case Offers 800% Upside
- Coinbase (COIN) Gains as Revenue Triples, Analyst Raises PT on 'Robust' Activity Levels
- Elon Musk on crypto: to the mooooonnn! And back again
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!