Morgan Stanley Initiates Research Coverage on EV Battery Names FREYR (FREY) and Microvast (MVST) On Opposite Sides of the Spectrum
- Wall Street closes rollercoaster week sharply lower
- Invesco (IVZ) Reportedly in Talks to Merge With State Street's (STT) Asset Management Business, Citi Sees More Cons than Pros
- FDA Votes "No" on Pfizer (PFE) Booster for 16+ Age Group, 2 Yes 16 No
- Jefferies Raises Price Targets on Alphabet (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) as They Are Still Inexpensive Relative to Growth, Reiterates Snap (SNAP) as a Best Growth Idea
- Tesla (TSLA) Could Deliver 900K EV Units This Year and 1.3M in 2022 - Wedbush
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley has expanded their coverage to include two de-SPACd EV battery startups - FREYR Battery (NYSE: FREY) and Microvast Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: MVST), with Overweight and Underweight ratings, respectively.
As Morgan Stanley surveys the EV/battery startup landscape, analyst Adam Jonas says that they are “prioritizing strong management teams and highly differentiated technology and/or business models with a path to scale at an acceptable level of risk.”
Morgan Stanley is attracted to FREY’s Norway-supported renewable manufacturing angle as it helps mitigates some important environmental externalities associated with the EV ecosystem. Jonas believes FREY offers a more compelling strategy and favorable risk-reward skew. Morgan Stanley initiated FREY with an Overweight rating and an $18 price target.
Jonas believes that MVST’s vertically integrated model carries greater execution, along with some competitive and in-sourcing risks. Jonas views Microvast as more of a proprietary technology venture that, under some scenarios, has the potential to scale profitably. MVST currently generates revenue by selling cells and packs for mostly Chinese production. The company’s potential with bigger players intrigued Morgan Stanley. However, Jonas believes that the company faces greater competition and higher tech/execution risk leading to an initial rating of Underweight, with a $6 price target.
By Michael Elkins | Michael.Elkins@streetinsider.com
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: BofA Securities Starts Rockley Photonics Holdings Ltd (RKLY) at Buy, Sees 56% Upside
- Tullow Oil Plc. (TLW:LN) (TUWOY) PT Raised to GBP0.55 at Berenberg
- BofA Securities Reinstates Williams-Sonoma (WSM) at Underperform; 'West Elm trees don't grow to the sky'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, New Coverage
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Michael Elkins
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!