Morgan Stanley Downgrades Upstart to Underweight, Price Target Cut by Nearly 80%
- S&P 500 ends down as jobs data rekindles rate hike fear
- U.S. Adds 528,000 Jobs in July, Topping Estimates
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) (BRK-B) Posts Strong Operating Results Even As Buyback, Equity Buying Slows
- Amazon (AMZN) to Buy iRobot (IRBT) for $1.7 Billion
- Block (SQ) Stock Falls Despite Earnings Beat, Analysts Remain Positive
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Shares of Upstart (NASDAQ: UPST) are down over 9% in pre-open after Morgan Stanley analyst James Faucette downgraded to Underweight from Equal Weight on “intensity of cyclical headwinds.”
“Deteriorating relative underwriting performance and increasing required returns from institutional partners have shifted our view incrementally negative, and we see downside risk to estimates and valuation as the platform's cyclicality is tested,” Faucette told clients in a note.
The analyst also slashed the price target to $19.00 from $88.00 which pushes Upstart stock to “one of our least favorite risk/rewards within our SMID Fintech coverage.”
The key pillar of the downgrade move is that Faucette now sees Upstart as a cyclical platform rather than secular one. He also notes that tailwinds from 2021 are now becoming headwinds in 2022.
“We not only see downside to estimates behind economic tightening and increased costs of funding capital, but we also expect valuation to reflect a more cyclical growth trajectory. Consequently, our applied '23 EV/Sales multiple moves meaningfully lower to 1.25x, from prior 5x, representing a discount to high-growth fintech peers and informed by a growthadjusted P/E valuation approach vs. consumer finance incumbents,” Faucette added.
Upstart shares are down over 9% in pre-open Wednesday.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Hyzon Motors Tumbles After Announcing Investigation into China Operations
- Kyowa Kirin (4151:JP) (KYKOF) PT Lowered to JPY4,300 at Nomura/Instinet
- Sony Corp. (6758:JP) (SNE) PT Raised to JPY11,800 at Nomura/Instinet
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades, Hot List
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Pre Market Movers, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!