Morgan Stanley Agrees with Elon Musk that Tesla (TSLA) Stock May Be Ahead of Itself
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas weighed in on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) today, saying the stock may be up for the wrong reasons.
Jonas commented, "Recently when asked about Tesla's stock, Elon Musk admitted he felt the share price was a bit ahead of itself. We agree. We believe the shares are worth $320, but perhaps not so quickly and not for some of the reasons we believe are driving the market."
He added, "We are big believers in Tesla's strategy and stand firmly by our claim that it is the world's most important car company. Securing key gigafactory partners (both public and private) and upcoming Model X details provide an excellent runway for the story. These are genuinely historic times for the auto industry and Tesla is writing its own chapters at a furious pace. But we do not expect the stock to appreciate so consistently and one-directionally from here." He listed four sobering facts for investors to consider:
1. EVs are failing categorically on a global scale
2. China demand growth may be severely limited by Tesla's ability to develop the supporting dealer and service infrastructure
3. Democratization of EVs is going too far, as it requires breakthroughs that may be too unreasonable to take for granted as a base case.
4. In an autonomous world, why will people buy a Tesla?
Overweight price target of $320.00
Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $279.20 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) call put ratio 1.3 calls to 1 put as shares sell off 1.6%
- Active options: TSLA AAPL CLOV NIO AMD WFC AMZN PLTR PINS
- Active options: AAPL TSLA BAC NIO PLTR NVDA AMD AMC MSFT
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Momentum Movers, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!