Morgan Stanley Adjusts Ratings in Favor of Land Drillers HP, NEX and CLB
- Nasdaq leads Wall St lower after robust November jobs data
- U.S. job juggernaut rolled on in November; nonfarm payrolls up 263,000
- We are selling risk rallies - Bank of America's Hartnett
- Asana (ASAN) stock hit with two downgrades after earnings; shares tumble 18%
- Analysts defend Zscaler (ZS) as shares fall despite earnings and guidance beat
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley analyst Connor Lynagh upgraded shares of Helmerich & Payne (NYSE: HP) to Equal-Weight and downgraded NexTier Oilfield Solutions (NYSE: NEX) to Equal-Weight and Core Laboratories (NYSE: CLB) to Underweight in a note Monday.
The analyst explained that the NAm cycle is maturing, and cash generation/returns are taking primacy over EBITDA revisions, while service companies adopting payout models "will be rewarded" in their view. As a result, Morgan Stanley has tilted its ratings in favor of land drillers.
"Following substantial activity and pricing growth, we think the biggest debate in NAm services is how far service companies can push 2023 pricing, and what they will do with 2023 FCF. Leaving pricing aside for the
moment, we think that shareholder returns frameworks will be increasingly adopted by NAm OFS companies," added Lynagh, who also lifted Helmerich & Payne's price target to $55 from $48.
"The NAm services industry has potential to better delineate capital returns and reinvestment frameworks to prove to the market that another cyclical capacity overbuild is not underway. We are accordingly shifting our ratings skew to favor FCF revisions and capital return potential."
By Sam Boughedda
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- DoorDash (DASH) confirms job cuts, shares fall on RBC downgrade
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM:CN) (CM) PT Lowered to Cdn$64 at TD Securities
- 'Thesis has changed': Salesforce (CRM) stock selloff extends on analyst downgrade
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot List, Upgrades
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!