Moderna (MRNA) Shares Rally 11% on 'Nu' Concerns, Analyst Sees mRNA Technology Adapting Much Quicker to New COVID Variant
- Wall Street rallies, capping frenetic week with best day of the year
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Soars on Another Robust Quarter Fueled by Monster iPhone and Services Numbers, Analysts Raise PTs
- BofA Raises Inflation Forecasts for 2022, Expects Fed to Hike 7 Times in 2022
- Netflix (NFLX) CEO Hastings Buys ~$20 Million in Stock Following Sell-Off, Ackman's Big Bet
- Oil hits 7-year peak on political risks, supply crunch
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Shares of Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Pfizer (NYSE: PFE), and BioNTech (NASDAQ: BNTX) are all trading higher in pre-open Friday amid fresh concerns surrounding the new African COVID-19 variant, called ‘Nu’.
Some European countries have already moved to ban travel from and to several countries in Africa as the new variant is reportedly heavily-mutated.
Citi analyst Andrew Baum sees risks associated with increased transmissibility vs Delta, lower sensitivity to many approved antibody therapies and protection provided by the current COVID-19 vaccines.
“The next two weeks with be critical to determine whether Nu will displace delta in countries with high background rates such as UK and Germany. The confirmed infection of a double Pfizer vaccinated patient with Nu in a HK quarantine hotel is a concern but the breakthrough infection could be explained by waning immunity rather than escape given patient apparently 5 months post second shot. On the positive side, confirmation of Nu does not require sequencing but can be made on approved PCR assays,” the analyst said in today’s note.
Dominic Lunn, a European pharma analyst at Credit Suisse, sees companies developing mRNA vaccines better positioned to address the threat coming from the new variant.
“For mRNA vaccines, manufacturing is highly fungible, so a large portion of global capacity could pivot to the new vaccine much more rapidly than it took to scale up for the first wave of mRNA vaccines,” the analyst said in his report.
Moderna shares are up 11% in pre-open Friday, PFE 6.3%, and BNTX stock is up over 8% as investors see the potential for higher revenues from vaccine sales.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Moderna (MRNA) Price Target Lowered to $200 at Cowen, Analyst Cites Development Risks of Flu, RSV and CMV Programs
- Rieter Holding AG (RIEN:SW) PT Raised to CHF210 at Credit Suisse
- Quickest Route to Recession is Wall Street Crash - BofA
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Momentum Movers, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse, Citi, Pre Market Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!