Meme Stock Activity Slowing Down on Reddit, Here are New Stocks to Watch According to BofA
- Wall Street surges to all-time closing high on earnings, economic revival
- Was Intel's (INTC) Second Quarter a Speedbump or Inflection?
- Twitter (TWTR) Gains After Beating Q2 Estimates, Analysts Raise PTs as Brand Recovery Accelerates
- U.S. dollar on track for second week of gains; Fed meeting in focus
- Snap (SNAP) Surges 17% After Smashing Q2 Views Across the Board to Yield a Dozen Price Target Hikes
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BofA Securities' quant Jill Carey Hall has noted a slowdown in Reddit activity concerning meme stocks, although mentions of AMC (NYSE: AMC) are still quite high.
BofA's team of analysts is regularly monitoring top-mentioned SMID cap (Russell 2500) stocks within the top 100 posts on Reddit’s WallStreetBets forum.
“While conversations generally accelerated for most stocks on our screen last week, overall WallStreetBets conversations have barely risen in recent weeks, and retail options usage remains well-below 1Q21, suggesting broader participation beyond just retail. Additionally, using AMC as a case study, the latest rally saw more short-dated call strikes available for trading and a more balanced volume between calls and puts, suggesting a reduced capacity for gamma squeezes* via call options in pushing up shares during the latest rally,” the strategist said in a note to clients.
Carey Hall also updated the list of top 20 mentioned Russell 2500 stocks on Reddit’s WSB forum, which saw the inclusion of Petco (NASDAQ: WOOF) and B&G Foods (NYSE: BGS). AMC remains the No.1 most-discussed stock.
“Virgin Galactic Holdings (NASDAQ: SPCE) was the only stock on our screen this week which saw declining mentions on Reddit, and discussion activity has fallen for the past two weeks (shares most recently peaked on June 8). And SMID caps that fell off the top-mentioned list this week: Zillow (NASDAQ: Z), Beyond Meat (NASDAQ: BYND), Alcoa (NYSE: AA) and BioCryst (NASDAQ: BCRX).”
During BofA’s talks with institutional investors, these key discussion highlights were recorded:
1) Some of the rise in retail trading is likely here to stay, BofA expects some simmering amid re-opening/back-to-work/peak stimulus; 2) increasing use of options has been a trend today by retail; 3) greater fragility for Reddit SMID caps; 4) while some Reddit stocks are now among the largest SMID caps, small/SMID benchmarks are much less concentrated at the top vs. large caps and we do not see broad “investability” risk to SMIDs; 5) clients are increasingly interested in tracking alt data sets such as this, 6) what’s different today vs. January = others beyond Reddit users/retail contributing to driving up stocks.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Origin Agritech Limited (SEED) paused on volatility after 15% spike higher on company tweet
- Galaxy Resources Ltd. (GXY:AU) PT Raised to AUD5.15 at Canaccord Genuity
- Thai Oil Public Company Limited (TOP:BK) (TOIPF) PT Lowered to THB54 at Macquarie
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Momentum Movers, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!