Long-time Bull Mizuho Walks Back, Downgrades Block to Neutral and Cuts PT by Over 50%
- Wall St posts third straight quarterly loss as inflation weighs, recession looms
- Intel's Autonomous Unit Mobileye Files U.S. IPO, Defying Weak Market Conditions
- Nike (NKE) Drops 9% as Inventory Surges 44%, Analysts See Attractive Valuation
- Hollywood Super Agent Attempts to Open Door for Twitter-Musk Settlement - Bloomberg
- Dollar up on euro as quarter ends, commodity led currencies sink
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Back in June 2021, shares of Block (NASDAQ: SQ), then known as Square, were trading comfortably above $200 per share.
It was back then that Mizuho analyst Dan Dolev told the firm’s clients that “buying Square now is likely buying JPMorgan in 1871.” Fast forward to today, Dolev cut the rating on SQ to Neutral from Buy.
“After years of rightfully being deemed the most innovative name in payments, we believe user fatigue, plateauing inflows, loss of the best-of-breed POS status, and BNPL misexecution are blocking SQ's growth,” Dolev told clients in a note today.
While the analyst acknowledges that SQ still has “enormous potential,” he also admits that this potential is not realized.
“BNPL estimates continue to come down & projects like Bitcoin - which accounts for <5% of GP - seem to disproportionately preoccupy management's attention,” Dolev added.
The price target is cut by over 50% to $57 as Dolev claims SQ “no longer merits a premium to the US payments group.”
Block shares are down 1.5% today.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Voya Financial (VOYA) an Inflation Net Beneficiary - Piper Sandler
- Wipro Ltd. (WPRO:IN) (WIT) PT Raised to INR388 at Goldman Sachs
- RELX Plc. (REL:LN) (RELX) PT Raised to GBP29.86 at Goldman Sachs
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Downgrades, Hot List
Related EntitiesJPMorgan, Bitcoin, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!