GameStop (GME) Reiterated Underperform at BofA Securities, Structurally this Cycle Worsens the Company's Competitive Position
- Tech stocks push S&P 500 to record close, buoy Nasdaq
- U.S. Calls for Pause of J&J (JNJ) Vaccine After Clotting Cases, Including One Death
- Coinbase (COIN) direct listing IPO reference price set at $250
- Biggest SPAC Deal Ever: Grab To Go Public in a $40 Billion Merger With Altimeter (AGC), Backed by Fidelity and BlackRock
- Oil rises after robust China data but J&J vaccine pause weighs
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BofA Securities analyst Curtis Nagle raised the price target on GameStop (NYSE: GME) to $10.00 (from $1.60) while maintaining a Underperform rating noting that the new board member Ryan Cohen (CHWY founder and ex-CEO) will unlikely be able to offset the structural pressures that will likely accelerate in this console cycle.
The analyst stated "One of the major opportunities highlighted by GME bulls is the expansion and improvement of GME’s online/omni-channel platform. COVID has helped accelerate GME’s online sales to 30% of total from under 10% but we see a higher mix to online as a negative for earnings. Very simply, the more business that shifts from in-store transactions, the more difficult it will be to sell high margin pre-owned and collectibles merchandise which accounted for 46%E of gross profit dollars in 2019".
He went on to state "We remain skeptical on the potential for a turnaround but recent share price momentum is likely to provide support in the near-to-medium term and we raise our PO to $10 on 8x 2022E adj. EV/EBITDA from $1.60 on 2.5x prior on 2021E. While it is difficult to know how much very high short interest and retail ownership could continue to put upward pressure on shares, we think fundamentals will again factor into valuation and note that at current price of $148 and GME’s average five year EV of 3.7x it implies EBITDA of $2.6bn vs. $(65)mn in ‘20".
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Score Media and Gaming (SCR) Reports Q2 Loss of C$0.45/sh
- UPDATE: BofA Securities Upgrades Ameren Corp. (AEE) to Buy
- Air Canada (AC:CN) (ACDVF) PT Lowered to Cdn$29 at Scotiabank
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Hot Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!