Flows suggest investors believe the market has bottomed - we disagree, says BofA
- Nasdaq falls as megacaps drop ahead of earnings, Fed meet in focus
- Recession EV price wars have started, expected another 15-20% in cuts - Chowdhry
- Johnson & Johnson shares tumble on reports talc unit bankruptcy case dismissed by appeals court
- 'Don't Fight the Fed' is still alive and this week will serve as a reminder - MS Wilson
- Ford to cut prices while 'significantly' increasing Mach-E production amid Tesla cuts
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
While Bank of America’s equity client flow trends points toward building momentum in the U.S. stock market, the firm’s equity strategist Jill Carey Hall warned against chasing the rally.
Last week’s data shows BofA’s clients continued to buy the rally, which marked the third consecutive week of inflows, according to Carey Hall. Clients were buying both single stocks and ETFs with institutional clients leading the buying activity. On the other hand, retail investors were net sellers for the 5th straight week.
“November typically sees net selling by this group that typically accelerates further in Dec. amid retail tax loss selling,” Carey Hall wrote in a client note.
As far as sectors are concerned, BofA’s clients were mostly buying Tech and Health Care stocks while selling Financials, Communication Services, Real Estate, and Energy. In aggregate, flows favored defensives over cyclicals.
“Recent flow momentum (and lack of capitulation-like outflows) suggest that investors likely believe the market has bottomed; we see further downside risk ahead of a 1H23 bottom,” the strategist concluded in a client note.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- S&P 500 could overshoot 4600 in H1 2023 - Oppenheimer
- Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P 500 weekly preview: Why analysts expect stocks to rotate lower
- MoffettNathanson sees upside for DoorDash and Uber, Lyft on the 'losing end'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Hot List, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesBofA/Merrill Lynch, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!