Dow (DOW) Shares Slammed on Downgrade at Credit Suisse on Overearning Concerns
- Growth stocks drag Nasdaq lower, energy shares bounce
- Just Another Bear Market Rally, Morgan Stanley's Wilson Says
- Oil prices rise amid G7 talks on new Russian sanctions
- Coinbase Downgraded to Sell at Goldman on Further Downside Risk, Robinhood Upgraded to Neutral on Better Risk-Reward
- Michael Burry Warns of the Bullwhip Effect, Says the Fed Could Reverse Course
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Credit Suisse analyst John Roberts downgraded Dow Inc. (NYSE: DOW) to Underperform from Neutral, Wednesday, reducing the firm's price target on the stock to $49 from $67. The rating action has sent shares down 6% in mid-day trading.
The analyst cited concerns that US basic chemical producers are overearning, just as there appears to be a consumer shift away from goods to services.
"The pandemic was the first recession where polyethylene demand went up. Until recently, consumers appeared to be overspending on goods relative to services. The past several quarters also benefitted from industry capacity additions delayed by the pandemic, and weather & China curtailments of operations," said Roberts. "We believe these factors could be reversing. And channel inventories downstream from Dow are not well tracked, but that could also present a risk as supply chains normalize."
Roberts added that the firm's 2023-2024 estimates reflect consultant/consensus views of a continued wide US gas liquids advantage vs. overseas oil-based operations. However, they believe that should be discounted more given uncertainty on how oil & gas prices will respond to a slowdown.
The analyst acknowledged that the key risks to the downside view are stronger demand growth and higher oil prices that would benefit Dow's commodity businesses.
By Sam Boughedda
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Goldman Reinstates Oracle at Sell, Upgrades Gitlab and Atlassian to Buy as it Rebalances Software Ratings
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Downgrades Samsara Inc (IOT) to Neutral
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Downgrades Altair Engineering (ALTR) to Sell
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Hot List
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!