Crown Castle (CCI) CEO to step down amid Elliott pressure; Shares gain
- S&P 500, Nasdaq close at fresh records on AI boost, easing yields
- Goldman removes Apple stock from 'US Conviction List - Directors' Cut'
- Boeing in talks to acquire Spirit AeroSystems, analysts discuss 'negative' financial benefits
- Stocks climb, yields fall as data supports rate cut bets
- Dell tops estimates on boost from AI-led server demand, shares jump premarket
Following their initial letter to the Crown Castle (NYSE: CCI) board in late November, activist investor Elliott Investment Management issued a follow-up letter to the board yesterday, emphasizing the need for strategic changes and a review of the fiber business.
The hedge fund points to CCI's underperformance compared to peers and positive feedback from investors and analysts since its initial letter to the board in November.
In response to the pressure, CCI's long-term CEO, Jay Brown, has announced his retirement. The Board has appointed Anthony Melone, a member of Crown Castle’s Board, to begin serving as interim CEO at that time.
CCI shares added 1.6% in response to this development.
While Elliott acknowledges this as a positive step, they assert that additional significant changes are necessary for Crown Castle to maximize value for shareholders.
“We believe that additional significant changes are needed to ensure that Crown Castle is best positioned to fulfill its potential for shareholders,” it is said in a letter.
“We look forward to continuing our dialogue with the Company’s Board regarding the necessary next steps, including a comprehensive review of the Fiber business, meaningful governance enhancements and a robust and transparent search process for Crown Castle’s next CEO,” Elliott says.
Jefferies analyst Jonathan Petersen believes that "a reevaluation of CCI's fiber business seems increasingly likely."
"We expect the Board and new management will take a serious look at the fiber business and either sell the assets or try to extract revenue in more traditional ways for a fiber business," Petersen said in a note.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Crown Castle (CCI) Co-Founder Ted B. Miller Files Lawsuit to Invalidate Crown Castle's Unlawful Cooperation Agreement with Elliott
- AT&T (T) Appoints Marissa Mayer to its Board
- Hagerty, Inc. (HGTY) Announces Resignation of Michael Angelina from Board
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Corporate News, Hedge Funds, Hot List, Hot Mgmt Changes, Management Changes
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co, Elliott Associates, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!