Citi Starts Power Plug (PLUG) at 'Buy', Seen as a Leader in Breakout From Nascent Hydrogen Economy
- Tech pulls Nasdaq, S&P 500 down as Treasury yields rise
- Merck (MRK) Said to Be Unidentified Suitor for Acceleron Pharma (XLRN), Not Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) - Report
- EV Company Polestar To Go Public Via $20 Billion SPAC Deal
- Amazon (AMZN) Price Target Lowered at Morgan Stanley Amid Rising Logistics Workforce Costs, Analyst Expects Stock to be Range Bound in Near Term
- Oil up on tight supply, Brent crude nears $80 a barrel
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Citi analyst P.J. Juvekar initiated the coverage of Power Plug (NASDAQ: PLUG) with a “Buy” rating and High/Risk label.
The analyst believes the company is a market leader in the disrupting sector that is trying to undermine the nascent hydrogen economy.
Thanks to its “unique vertical integration strategy from making electrolyzers to hydrogen production, delivery and building fuel cell (FC) modules for mobility and data centers,” the company is very well-positioned, says Juvekar.
“Green hydrogen is the only true way of decarbonizing the global economy. PLUG has positioned itself at the center of the hydrogen economy through the acquisitions of United Hydrogen and Giner ELX, which gave PLUG vertical integration in making hydrogen, PEM electrolyzers as well as fuel cells. PLUG is building a 1.5 GW Gigafactory in Latham, NY which will produce 60k fuel cell stacks and 500 MW for electrolyzer capacity. PLUG has announced partnerships or JVs with SK and Groupe Renault to grow in Europe and Asia and potentially build Gigafactories internationally,” the analyst said in a note.
The company has four major customers, including Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, and General Motors. Plans are in place to soon announce the fifth customer.
“Management targets 25k fuel cells for forklifts by 2024, which represents less than 1% market share so we see tremendous growth opportunity. Beyond forklifts, other FC applications targeted include light delivery trucks, buses and heavy duty long haul trucks. Data centers offer another growth avenue as companies like Microsoft have announced their plan to shift away from diesel-powered backup supply.”
Juvekar set a $35.00 per share price target on PLUG, implying an ETR of about 30%.
“PLUG has a cash war chest of over $4B bolstered by ~$1B equity raise and $1.6B from SK Group for 9.6% ownership,” the analyst further noted.
Shares of PLUG are down nearly 2.5% today.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Piper Sandler Upgrades Plug Power (PLUG) to Overweight on Pullback and 'Tremendous' Momentum
- Granite Real Estate Investment Trust (GRT-U:CN) (GRP) PT Raised to Cdn$107 at Canaccord Genuity
- Trip.com Group Ltd (9961:HK) PT Lowered to HK$230 at Daiwa Securities
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, New Coverage
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!