Big Lots (BIG) Dips as Piper Downgrades to Neutral on Multiple Macro Headwinds
- S&P 500, Dow hit new highs; Big Tech struggles ahead of earnings
- Tesla (TSLA) Joins Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google in Trillion Dollar Club
- PayPal (PYPL) Stock Soars Over 6% on Confirmation It Won't Acquire Pinterest (PINS) 'At This Time'; PINS Stock Down 11%
- Biggest Single EV Purchase Ever: Tesla (TSLA) Stock Soars as Hertz Orders 100,000 EVs in $4.2 Billion Deal, Analyst Bulled-up
- Oil prices reach multi-year highs on tight supply
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of Big Lots (NYSE: BIG) are down over 2% in pre-open Tuesday after Piper Sandler analyst Peter Keith downgraded to Neutral from Overweight.
The analyst sees see a trifecta of macro headwinds impacting fundamentals through 1H 2022, hence a downgrade and a price target cut to $50.00 per share from the prior $60.00.
These headwinds include 1) Lapping 2 years of stimulus check tailwinds in 1H, 2) Robust ocean freight rates that are likely to drag on gross margins, 3) Retail industry wage pressure seems unlikely to materially.
“On the sales side, BIG is (1) Accelerating store growth to 40-60 stores starting in 2022 (~3% unit growth), (2) Ramping its Furniture sales team at the store level, (3) Rolling out a multi-year store refresh program, which should touch 800 stores, and (4) Introducing a buy-now-pay-later option, which can help increase sales conversion. On the margin side, BIG still has opportunity with (1) Improved sourcing / reduced costs with suppliers through driving improved relationships, (2) Price optimization, (3) Reducing shrink, and (4) More targeted promos vs. historical cadence of "blanket" promos,” Keith said in a client note.
As a result, the analyst lowered 2022 EPS estimates to $5.52 from $6.01 vs the consensus of $6.13.
A new price target is $50.00 per share from the prior $60.00.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: KeyBanc Downgrades Winnebago Industries (WGO) to Sector Weight as Supply Gets Better
- Just Eat Takeaway.com NV (JETL:LN) (TKAYF) PT Lowered to GBP94 at Goldman Sachs
- Bank Negara Indonesia (BBNI:IJ) (PTBRY) PT Raised to IDR5,940 at Goldman Sachs
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesPre Market Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!