Bank Stocks Get Lift On Meredith and Others Bullish Vibe (XLF, FAZ, FAS)
- S&P 500 and Nasdaq notch highest closes since early 2022
- U.S. economy adds 199,000 jobs in November
- Fed should 'lowball' rate cuts expectations next week says analyst after strong jobs data
- Bernstein's best idea for 2024? Short Tesla stock
- Analysts defend Broadcom as annual guidance falls short after FQ4 earnings beat
Banks stocks are higher this AM after uber-bearish banking analyst Meredith Whitney upgraded Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) to Buy, just one day ahead of the company's earnings. In addition, Goldman themselves had comments this morning that is adding to the upside. The firm said they expect investors to focus more on pre-provision earnings and less on credit.
Goldman prefers large banks over regional banks and favors JP Morgan (NYSE: JPM) (Buy) into the quarter. Goldman added Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) to its Conviction Buy List, removing The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). The firm has an Attractive coverage view on Trust banks.
Goldman also raised its price target on Wells Fargo (NYSE: WFC) to $29 from $14 (Neutral) and PNC Financial (NYSE: PNC) to $38 from $28 (Neutral).
Goldman sees consumer getting better and commercial getting worse, which disproportionally impacts regional banks. They also said capital markets and mortgages should be big in 2Q, which also favors large banks versus regionals. Capital has improved due to capital raises and deposit growth. Goldman said TARP repayment and FDIC expense will make consensus EPS a difficult comp as changes are treated inconsistently across the street.
The main sector ETF Financial Select Sector SPDR (NYSE: XLF) is up 2% this AM on the positive vibe. On the leveraged ETF front, Direxion Daily Financial Bear 3X Shares (NYSE: FAZ) is down 5% and Direxion Daily Financial Bull 3X Shares (NYSE: FAS) is up 5%.
Real-Time Market Moving News Two-Weeks FREE http://www.streetinsider.com/premium_content.php
You May Also Be Interested In
- US Bitcoin ETF Issuer Talks With SEC Have Advanced To Key Details - Reuters
- Top Ships (TOPS) Announces Increase in Shareholding by Pistiolis Family to 73% Via Full Conversion of Preferred Shares and Open-Market Purchases
- Talks between SEC and Bitcoin ETF issuers in 'advanced' stages - report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Insiders' Blog, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, JPMorgan, Meredith Whitney, FDIC
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!