Apple's (AAPL) Autonomous Vehicle Program Said on Chopping Block - Lynx Equity Strategies
- World shares ride earnings to fresh high, dollar steady
- Oil prices slip as Delta variant spread weighs
- Dollar trades near recent lows; kiwi climbs
- After-Hours Stock Movers 08/03: (CERS) (NVTA) (ATVI) Higher; (ZY) (LPSN) (OSUR) Lower (more...)
- Tencent (TCEHY) Falls Sharply as State Media Describes Online Games as ‘Spiritual Opium’, Company Vows to Improve
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Lynx Equity Strategies analysts KC Rajkumar and Jahanara Nissar said they are picking up chatter that Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL) secretive autonomous vehicle program could be on the chopping block.
If true, the analysts suggested this is significant for several reasons:
1) an abrupt reversal of a high-profile program, which, according to publicly available data, was expanding in recent years,
2) denies Apple’s Services segment a new growth vector outside of core Apple devices and
3) the weakness in iPhone sales may be significant enough to warrant belt-tightening in non-core programs by the way of program termination and head count reduction, the first in many years.
"A little over a month ago in Dec, we wrote about limited opex cuts in some non-core programs such as the autonomous driving program," they write. "Our latest checks, solidified after discussions at CES, leads us to believe that perhaps the entire program may be on the chopping block.:
They have two take-aways:
1) A sudden and significant shortfall in iPhone revenue is causing a level of distress within Apple that is forcing it to make hard choices, and
2) if Apple, this most well-resourced of companies, is having to cut back on autonomous vehicle investment, what does that tell us about the prospects of the overall autonomous vehicle industry?
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Apple (AAPL) and Affirm (AFRM) to Join on Buy Now, Pay Later for Canada Purchases - Bloomberg
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Downgrades Zymergen Inc (ZY) to Neutral
- NVIDIA (NVDA) PT Raised to $250 at Rosenblatt Even Though ARM Deal Might Not Happen
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!