Apple (AAPL) Analyst Hosts Call with EV Battery Expert Yielding 3 Takeaways
- Wall Street slips as inflation jitters spark broad sell-off
- Tesla (TSLA) Sales in China 'Stagnated' in April, Wedbush Notes
- Roblox (RBLX) Gains as Sales Rise 140%, Analyst Raises PT on Strong Growth and Early China Launch
- Dollar hits fresh 10-week lows ahead of inflation report
- Tesla (TSLA) Halts Plans to Buy Land in Shanghai Amid Increased Tensions with China: Report
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
UBS analyst David Vogt reiterated a Buy rating and $142.00 price target on Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) after hosting a call with a 30 year battery expert to discuss the BEV market. The three key takeaways were:
1) Batteries currently represent the largest cost bucket of a BEV with battery with costs of ~$150 kWh or $7,500. To illustrate his point, he noted by simply driving the battery cost lower by $20 per kWh, an OEM can save ~$1K/unit, or lift margins by ~3% on a $30k vehicle.
2) OEMs have embarked on modestly different platform strategies driven by regional preferences and price points.
3) Over the next decade, choke points such as charging infrastructure will be addressed however the availability of raw materials used in batteries requires monitoring until new technologies like solid state are available.
The analyst stated "Although charging infrastructure is one near term bottleneck, our expert noted that OEMs are incentivized to build charging stations to help drive EV sales going forward, therefore it is unlikely to be a long term headwind. However, our expert spent a considerable amount of time highlighting the importance of the supply of raw materials needed, including graphite, cobalt and nickel. As a sign of the importance of the raw materials, OEMs like Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) have been focused on procuring ample supply of nickel."
Shares of Apple closed at $128.96 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Apple (AAPL): iPhone Average Selling Price Up 24% to $880 in Q2, But a Likely Reversion to a More Traditional Mix in 2022 Will Impact Margins and Revenues - Bernstein
- Apple (AAPL): Latest COVID-19 Infections Surge in India Impacting Foxconn's iPhone Output: Report
- SailPoint Technologies Holdings (SAIL) PT Lowered to $60 at Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesUBS, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!