Apple (AAPL), Tesla (TSLA) Could be 'Collateral Damage' from Trump's TikTok War - Bernstein
- S&P 500, Dow end at record highs as weak jobs data eases rate worries
- U.S. Added Only 266,000 Jobs in April, Well Below Estimates
- Roku (ROKU) Surges After Crushing Profit Estimates to Prompt an Upgrade to 'Buy' at Loop Capital
- Dollar broadly weaker after U.S. jobs data disappoint
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Sacconaghi said while no direct measures have yet been announced, China "has a history of wide discretion in pressuring foreign companies, particularly in periods of geopolitical tension." He highlights state-backed customer boycotts and government disruption of foreign companies' sales, exports, or manufacturing. Precedents for this sort of behavior include the Chinese government's disruption of HP PC sales in 2010, regulatory delays on the iPhone 6 in 2014, the shutdown of iTunes Movies and iBooks in 2016, and government shutdowns of Korean supermarkets in 2016. The analyst also said China could potentially reintroduce its "Unreliable Entity List," which originally included Apple.
The analyst said Apple and Tesla are among the two most exposed companies in their coverage. Apple generates 15% of its revenues from China. Tesla traditionally generated 15%+ of its revenues in China, but is now targeting a 30%+ mix amid the recent construction of its Shanghai Gigafactory.
Sacconaghi said while it is difficult to handicap the exact risk of Chinese retribution to either Apple or Tesla, with both stocks trading at all-time-high multiples investors are not discounting much China risk currently.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ark's Cathie Wood thinks Twitter (TWTR) tipping could be bigger deal than anticipated
- Tilray (TLRY) Gets a Two-Notch Upgrade to 'Buy' at Jefferies as Aphria Merger is Seen as a 'Perfect Match'
- Bernstein Upgrades Boeing (BA) to Market Perform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesSanford C. Bernstein, Tesla, Toni Sacconaghi
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!