Alphabet (GOOGL) Could Spin-Off Waymo, Creating a $70B Competitor to Tesla (TSLA) - Morgan Stanley
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- AT&T (T) in Talks to Merge Media Assets with Discovery (DISCA) - WSJ
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jones thinks the partnership between Alphabet's (NASDAQ: GOOGL) Waymo and Lyft is an important step in the company's ability to drive the autonomous transition. He views Waymo as a potential spin-out candidate for Alphabet that could be worth $70 billion and thereby compete for talent and capital versus Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA).
The firm's $70 billion estimates for Waymo comes if they assume Waymo can grow to ~1% of global miles driven by 2030 (based on a fleet of ~3mn cars each driving ~65k miles/year) and that Waymo can generate on average~$1.25in revenue per mile driven.
The analyst said miles/year and revenue/mile could lead to an enterprise value of ~$140 billion for Waymo.
Jonas views Waymo as the most likely Other Bets candidate to be spun off into a separate company given 1) Its valuation opportunity; 2) The company (like Verily) has already graduated from Google X to a stand-alone entity within Other Bets; 3) We see Waymo facing material regulatory and (likely) legal risk as it continues to drive the autonomous vehicle transition that parent-company Alphabet may not necessarily wish to be directly exposed to.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fisker (FSR) Gains on Plans to Manufacture EVs With Foxconn in US, Morgan Stanley Reiterates FSR as a Top-Rated EV Startup Thesis as Bull Case Offers 800% Upside
- Alphabet (GOOGL) 30-day option implied volatility flat at 31
- Honda Motor Co Ltd (7267:JP) (HMC) PT Lowered to JPY4,400 at Nomura/Instinet
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Rumors, Spinoffs
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!