Alphabet (GOOGL) Could Spin-Off Waymo, Creating a $70B Competitor to Tesla (TSLA) - Morgan Stanley
- Nasdaq, S&P 500 scale new peak as jobs recovery gains traction
- Eli Lilly (LLY) Surges After Getting Breakthrough Therapy Designation From FDA, Analyst Raises PT and Sees Approval Chance at 90%, Biogen (BIIB) Plunges
- Dollar holds below two-month highs as Fed policy in focus, sterling slips
- Morgan Stanley's Huberty Dismisses Concerns Over Apple's (AAPL) 2022 Growth Prospects, Bumps PT; Says iPhone 'S' Cycle Is Different This Time and Sees 'Good' LT Buying Opportunity
- Visa (V) Acquires Tink, European Open Banking Platform for $2.2B
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jones thinks the partnership between Alphabet's (NASDAQ: GOOGL) Waymo and Lyft is an important step in the company's ability to drive the autonomous transition. He views Waymo as a potential spin-out candidate for Alphabet that could be worth $70 billion and thereby compete for talent and capital versus Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA).
The firm's $70 billion estimates for Waymo comes if they assume Waymo can grow to ~1% of global miles driven by 2030 (based on a fleet of ~3mn cars each driving ~65k miles/year) and that Waymo can generate on average~$1.25in revenue per mile driven.
The analyst said miles/year and revenue/mile could lead to an enterprise value of ~$140 billion for Waymo.
Jonas views Waymo as the most likely Other Bets candidate to be spun off into a separate company given 1) Its valuation opportunity; 2) The company (like Verily) has already graduated from Google X to a stand-alone entity within Other Bets; 3) We see Waymo facing material regulatory and (likely) legal risk as it continues to drive the autonomous vehicle transition that parent-company Alphabet may not necessarily wish to be directly exposed to.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rumor Tesla (TSLA) Nearly Sold Out for Q3
- Morgan Stanley Starts Raytron Technology Co Ltd (688002:CH) at Overweight
- Hershey Foods' (HSY) Jet Spotted in Buffett's Backyard - Analyst
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Rumors, Spinoffs
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!