2 Reasons Why Citi Downgraded Merck (MRK) to Neutral Today, Opened a Negative Catalyst Watch
- Wall Street rallies, capping frenetic week with best day of the year
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Soars on Another Robust Quarter Fueled by Monster iPhone and Services Numbers, Analysts Raise PTs
- BofA Raises Inflation Forecasts for 2022, Expects Fed to Hike 7 Times in 2022
- Netflix (NFLX) CEO Hastings Buys ~$20 Million in Stock Following Sell-Off, Ackman's Big Bet
- Oil hits 7-year peak on political risks, supply crunch
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of Merck (NYSE: MRK) are down 1.7% in pre-open Monday after Citi analyst Andrew Baum downgraded to Neutral from Buy with a price target of $85.00 per share from the prior $105.00.
First, the analyst sees a “high probability” that Merck will terminate islatravir development in the coming months amid strong regulatory headwinds.
“Our long-standing investment thesis on MRK was based on under-appreciation of MRK’s pipeline, especially islatravir for HIV to help to offset the forthcoming Keytruda LOE. We have removed our $4bn risk adjusted 2030 estimate from our model, reducing our EPS estimates up to 10%,” Baum said in a client note.
Secondly, the analyst also sees risk to Lagevrio forecasts for COVID-19. Citi’s EPS projections are now down 7-17% compared to the consensus post 2028E.
“Lagevrio estimates at risk given (i) inferior efficacy vs monoclonals or PFE’s Paxlovid, (ii) anticipated REMS program due to risk of birth defects (iii) data from MOVe-OUT trial suggesting Lagevrio likely has no benefit in previously infected or vaccinated patients. In the absence of resistance to PFE’s Paxlovid, we anticipate risk to consensus 2022+ est.”
Overall, Baum opened a negative catalyst watch on the Merck stock today and reiterated Citi’s Buy ratings on AstraZeneca (NASDAQ: AZN), AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV), Eli Lilly And Co (NYSE: LLY), Novartis (OTC: NVSEF), Sanofi (OTC: SNYNF), and Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE: BMY).
Merck stock is up 2.5% YTD.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE (MC:FP) (LVMUY) PT Raised to EUR680 at Deutsche Bank
- Deutsche Bank (DBK:GR) (DB) PT Raised to EUR14 at RBC Capital
- dotdigital group plc (DOTN:LN) PT Lowered to GBP2 at Deutsche Bank
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesCiti, Pre Market Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!