‘Another Solid Quarter’ For Telecom Expected by Morgan Stanley
- S&P 500, Nasdaq close up 4th straight week as optimism grows
- 'Back in Tech': Investors are Increasing Exposure to Tech and Growth Stocks - BofA
- Rivian Reports Bigger Loss, Says Current Models Won't Qualify for Tax Breaks
- US-listed China Stocks Slip on Delisting Moves, Analyst Sees Short-term Noise
- Salesforce (CRM), Snowflake (SNOW) Rated New Sell at Guggenheim, Oracle (ORCL) at Buy
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Another solid quarter is expected from the telecom sector, Morgan Stanley analyst Simon Flannery said in a note Friday.
"Disappointing overall corporate earnings growth and rising recession fears could help support a continued rotation into the Telco sector as something of a safe haven," said Flannery. "So far this year the Big 3 Telcos are up +8.9% on average, dramatically outperforming the S&P 500 (down >20%). Despite this both AT&T and Verizon still trade at single digit P/E ratios (compared with the S&P 500's 16.5x, a 46.8% discount) with 5%+ dividend yields. T-Mobile, our Top Pick within Telecom Services, should announce the start of their buyback program in coming months."
Flannery believes wireless adds should remain healthy, and they expect "Big 3 + Cable to add c. 1.8M postpaid phone subscribers this quarter, versus 2.2M a year ago."
"Wireless pricing moves and churn/switching behavior will be important. These will be a focus this quarter, although the bulk of the impacts will be felt in 3Q22 and beyond," added the analyst.
Byrd also said they will be watching macro pressures with the firm's recent CIO survey suggesting a modest tick down in IT spending expectations this year, but its "Macro team has been cutting GDP estimates and sees rising recession risks."
By Sam Boughedda
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rapid Micro Biosystems (RPID) Announces Review of Strategic Alternatives, Adoption of Stockholder Rights Plan
- UPDATE: Morgan Stanley Downgrades Korea Electric Power Corp. (015760:KS) (KEP) to Equalweight
- Utz Brands (UTZ) Downgraded by Goldman Sachs on Lack of Upside Potential
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot List
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Standard & Poor's, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!