$25 Trillion Bull Case for Autos... Replace Every Gas-Guzzler with an EV
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
- Coinbase (COIN) To Add Dogecoin Trading in the Next Few Weeks
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Imagine replacing every gas-guzzling, carbon-dioxide-emitting jalopy on earth with a sleek, zero-emissions electric vehicle. Not only would this be every global warming activists' dream come true, but it would also be a dream come true for beleaguered auto market investors.
Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas highlighted today that the potential replacement value of electric vehicles for gas-powered vehicles is a whopping $25 trillion. His math is 1 billion cars on earth multiped by the average cost to replace a car of between $20k and $25k: 1 billion x $25k = $25 trillion.
There are real issues at stake, Jonas claims - the environment.
The analyst notes each car emits roughly 4 tons of CO2 per year. That's 4 gigatons of CO2 per year from using current internal combustion cars globally (roughly 130 metric tons per second). In the US, they estimate cars emit around 40 metric tons per second. In Los Angeles alone, they estimate the 8 million vehicles emit roughly 1.2 metric tons/second.
"Decarbonizing the fleet requires a viable auto industry production zero emission vehicles", he said. While government support is nuanced and difficult to analyze, they strongly expect government policies will be required to usher in the transition.
While Jonas didn't provide any specific stocks to benefit from the shift, he believes "the investment implications of climate change have the potential to be the most dominating force in global autos over the next few years." He said to stay tuned for ways to profit.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fisker (FSR) Gains on Plans to Manufacture EVs With Foxconn in US, Morgan Stanley Reiterates FSR as a Top-Rated EV Startup Thesis as Bull Case Offers 800% Upside
- GPU Mining Strong, Fundamentals Continue to Improve in Hard Disk Drives and in NAND, Bullish for Western Digital (WD) and Seagate (STX) - Morgan Stanley
- NICE Systems Ltd (NICE) Beat and Raise Driven by Strong Cloud Revenue, PT Cut to $300 at Jefferies But Reit Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesChrysler LLC, Morgan Stanley, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!