Caterpillar (CAT) Still Has 'Significant' Upside, JPMorgan Says in Upgrade
- Wall Street rallies as Fed minutes meet expectations
- NVIDIA Shares Drop 6% on Disappointing Guidance, While Q1 Earnings Beat
- Apple (AAPL) Reportedly Behind Schedule in Development of the New iPhone, Analyst Cuts Price Target on Risk to June Quarter iPhone Revenue
- Oil edges higher on tight supply, rising U.S. refining activity
- After-Hours Stock Movers 05/25: NVIDIA, Snowflake Sink on Weaker Guidance; Williams-Sonoma Surges on Strong Numbers (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT) shares rose 1 percent Monday morning on a strong upgrade from JP Morgan to Overweight (from Neutral) and new price target for $200.00 (from $144.00).
Analyst Ann Duignan sees "significant upside" remaining after acknowledging to clients that her team "missed out on CAT's outperformance in 2017." The analyst sees upside in the forward twelve months on the heels of Tax Cut benefits and the Jobs Act which will likely extend the company’s cycle in its N. American construction business.
Duignan sees upside on benefits of a low tax rate which supports higher through-cycle free cash flow and benefits from the Resource business which is entering the second year of an estimated 10-year upcycle. The analyst also forecasts that construction equipment sales could climb back to the 2005 peak of nearly 233,000 units which leaves the company as an outsized beneficiary of the potential upcycle given its leadership position in North America.
The new valuation at $200 represents nearly 18x free cash flow per share multiple on 2018 estimates. FY 2018 EPS estimate rises to $8.42 (from $7.94) and FY 2019 EPS estimate rises to $9.56 (from $8.98).
The new price target represents 23.5% upside from Friday's close.
StreetInsider Premium first published a variation of this article at 7:12AM ET. Try StreetInsider Premium for two weeks free here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Upgrades Magellan Midstream Partners (MMP) to Overweight
- UPDATE: Oppenheimer Upgrades CME Group (CME) to Outperform
- UPDATE: MakeMyTrip (MMYT) PT Raised to $43 at Citi, 'Great Show All Around'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!