Canaccord Genuity Upgrades Tesla (TSLA) to Buy; EV Penetration Story 'Underappreciated'
- Tech pulls Nasdaq, S&P 500 down as Treasury yields rise
- Ford (F) Stock Soars on $11.4 Billion EV Partnership with Battery Maker SK Innovation (SKOVF)
- Merck (MRK) Said to Be Unidentified Suitor for Acceleron Pharma (XLRN), Not Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) - Report
- Activision Blizzard (ATVI) to Pay $18 Million to Settle Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Claims
- General Electric (GE) Price Target Raised at Cowen Ahead of Q3 Print
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - February 11, 2019 7:19 AM EST)
(updated to expand analyst comments)
Canaccord Genuity analyst Jed Dorsheimer upgraded Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Hold to Buy with a price target of $450.00 (from $330.00). The upgrade was in conjunction with their white paper "Electrifying autos and super-charging mobility" published today. Dorsheimer views the EV penetration story as underappreciated by the Street.
Dorsheimer said the last two quarters and recent guidance for Q1 have removed significant concerns for both production capability and profitability of the critical Model 3. As such, they see a more stable 2019 with far fewer concerns for investors in the company.
The analyst sees the recent string of price cuts as further proof that the cost cutting and right sizing that the company has undertaken are resulting in concrete movement towards the ultimate goal of an affordable $35,000 Model 3.
Further, with strong shipments into EU and China, they expect that the initial "tiny profit" Q1 expectation that the company announced in early January will prove to be the low point in EPS for the year and expect that the ramp towards year end may quell the short thesis.
Meanwhile, their prior concerns around corporate governance were allayed with the addition of Larry Ellison and Ms. Wilson-Thompson as independent directors, and they believe Elon Musk is demonstrating a calmer demeanor characteristic of strong leaders.
In addition, they view Tesla's coveted autopilot technology as having an almost insurmountable lead in autonomous driving, which will eventually be the key component of future transportation.
Shares of Tesla closed at $305.83 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Steel Dynamics (STLD) is a Stock to Own Long-Term on Tesla's (TSLA) CyberTruck - Global Equities' Chowdhry
- Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd (6098:JP) (RCRUY) PT Raised to JPY8,000 at Morgan Stanley
- Tecan Group AG (TECN:SW) PT Raised to CHF595 at UBS
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesTesla, Larry Ellison, Canaccord Genuity, Model 3
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!