Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 11/21: (SXL)/(ETP) (ORCL) (MSTX) (MTSI)/(AMCC)
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Under the terms of the transaction, ETP unitholders will receive 1.5 common units of SXL for each common unit of ETP they own. This equates to a 10% premium to the volume weighted average pricing of ETP’s common units for the last 30 trading days immediately prior to the announcement of the transaction.
As SXL will be the acquiring entity, the existing incentive distribution rights provisions in the SXL partnership agreement will continue to be in effect, and Energy Transfer Equity, L.P. (NYSE: ETE) will own the incentive distribution rights of SXL following the closing of the transaction. As part of this transaction, ETE has agreed to continue to provide all the incentive distribution right subsidies that are currently in effect with respect to both partnerships. The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to SXL’s distributable cash flow per common unit and is also expected to allow the combined partnership to be in position to achieve near-term distribution increases in the low double digits and a more than 1.0x distribution coverage ratio.
The transaction is expected to provide significant benefits for SXL and ETP unitholders as the combined partnership will have increased scale and diversification across multiple producing basins and will have greater opportunities to more closely integrate SXL’s natural gas liquids business with ETP’s natural gas gathering, processing and transportation business. With this transaction, SXL and ETP expect to build upon their experience working together as partners in several joint ventures to pursue commercial opportunities and to achieve cost savings while enhancing the service capabilities for their customers. SXL and ETP expect that the transaction will allow for commercial synergies and costs savings in excess of $200 million annually by 2019.
The transaction is also expected to strengthen the balance sheet of the combined organization by utilizing cash distribution savings to reduce debt and to fund a portion of the growth capital expenditure programs of the two partnerships. ETP and SXL have spent approximately $15 billion in organic growth capital over the past several years, and these expenditures, combined with the completion of other major capital projects currently in progress, are expected to continue to generate strong distributable cash flow growth.
Both ETP and SXL management teams are pleased to be able to bring two strong partnerships together in this strategic transaction that combines the premier crude oil midstream MLP with the premier natural gas midstream MLP. The combined partnership is expected to be the second largest MLP as measured by enterprise value.
At the closing of the transaction, the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Commercial Officer, President and Chief Financial Officer of the combined partnership will be Kelcy Warren, Mackie McCrea, Matt Ramsey and Tom Long, respectively, and it is expected that Mike Hennigan and other members of the SXL management team will continue in leading management roles of the combined company with the SXL business headquartered in Philadelphia.
SXL and ETP will hold a joint conference call to discuss the transaction details on Monday, November 21, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time (4:00 p.m. Eastern Time). An investor presentation will be posted to the partnerships’ websites and filed with the SEC on a Form 8-K.
The dial-in number for the call is 1-877-524-8416. The investor presentation and a live webcast of the call may be accessed on the investor relations page of SXL’s website at www.sunocologistics.com or ETP’s website at www.energytransfer.com. The call will be available for replay on those sites or by dialing 1-877-660-6853. A replay of the broadcast will also be available on SXL’s and ETP’s websites for a limited time.
Latham & Watkins LLP acted as legal counsel to ETP. Vinson & Elkins LLP acted as legal counsel to SXL. Barclays acted as financial advisor and Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP acted as legal counsel to ETP’s conflicts committee. Citi acted as financial advisor and Richards Layton & Finger, P.A. acted as legal counsel to SXL’s conflicts committee.
*** Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire Dyn, the leading cloud-based Internet Performance and DNS provider that monitors, controls, and optimizes Internet applications and cloud services to deliver faster access, reduced page load times, and higher end-user satisfaction.
Dyn was in the news last month when a massive DDoS attack at Dyn brought down tons of popular websites including Spotify and Twitter.
Dyn's solution is powered by a global network that drives 40 billion traffic optimization decisions daily for more than 3,500 enterprise customers, including preeminent digital brands such as Netflix, Twitter, Pfizer and CNBC. Adding Dyn's best-in-class DNS solution extends the Oracle cloud computing platform and provides enterprise customers with a one-stop shop for Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS).
"Oracle already offers enterprise-class IaaS and PaaS for companies building and running Internet applications and cloud services," said Thomas Kurian, President, Product Development, Oracle. "Dyn's immensely scalable and global DNS is a critical core component and a natural extension to our cloud computing platform."
"Oracle cloud customers will have unique access to Internet performance information that will help them optimize infrastructure costs, maximize application and website-driven revenue, and manage risk," said Kyle York, Chief Strategy Officer, Dyn. "We are excited to join Oracle and bring even more value to our customers as part of Oracle's cloud computing platform."
*** Mast Therapeutics, Inc. (NYSE: MSTX) provided an update regarding its recently announced campaign to evaluate strategic opportunities.
- Preliminary Indications of Interest in Reverse Merger Transactions. The Company has received several written indications of interest from privately-held companies, including companies with synergistic clinical-stage drug candidates, and is actively evaluating these opportunities.
- Other Strategic Opportunities. Concurrently, the Company will continue to explore ways to strategically monetize its vepoloxamer assets, including through licensing transactions.
- Continued Clinical Development of AIR001. In parallel with exploring strategic opportunities, the Company will continue to support ongoing and planned investigator-sponsored clinical studies of its lead asset, AIR001, for the treatment of patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF).
"Our recently-announced strategic process has generated a number of opportunities that would be transformative for Mast," stated Brian M. Culley, Chief Executive Officer of Mast Therapeutics. "We are diligently and expeditiously reviewing these strategic alternatives, which we believe could maximize returns for our stockholders. We also remain excited about the potential for AIR001 in HFpEF and look forward to more data from investigator-sponsored studies in 2017," continued Mr. Culley.
*** MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: MTSI) announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Applied Micro Circuits Corporation (Nasdaq: AMCC) for approximately $8.36 per share, consisting of $3.25 in cash and 0.1089 MACOM shares per share of AppliedMicro. This price for each share of AppliedMicro represented a 15.4% premium over the company’s closing price of $7.25 on Friday, November 18th. MACOM intends to divest the well-positioned but non-strategic Compute business within the first 100 days of closing.
Transaction Highlights Include:
- Transaction valued at approximately $770 million for AppliedMicro’s approximately $165 million in TTM revenue (including the Compute business) and $82 million of cash and short-term investments at September 30, 2016
- MACOM and AppliedMicro’s pro forma combined TTM revenue was approximately $709 million including AppliedMicro’s Compute business, or approximately $644 million excluding the Compute business
- AppliedMicro’s Connectivity business is highly complementary to MACOM’s product portfolio, through the addition of market-leading OTN framers, MACsec Ethernet networking components and the industry’s leading single-lambda PAM4 platform
- Transaction to accelerate MACOM’s significant growth in optical technologies for Cloud Service Providers and Enterprise Network customers serving the high-growth, high-margin Data Center market
- AppliedMicro’s leadership PAM4 solutions based on FinFET technology and custom engagements with top-tier Data Center and service provider customers is expected to strengthen MACOM’s competitive position with those customers
- MACOM expects to improve the profitability of AppliedMicro by divesting the Compute business and by delivering on substantial revenue and cost synergies
- Excluding the Compute business, MACOM expects this transaction to be accretive to its non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating margin and non-GAAP EPS, in MACOM’s fiscal year ending September, 2017
- MACOM to benefit from over $600 million of tax net operating loss carry forwards
Commenting on the transaction, John Croteau, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "This transaction will accelerate and expand MACOM’s breakout opportunity in Enterprise and Cloud Data Centers. MACOM will now be able to provide all the requisite semiconductor content for optical networks - analog, photonic and PHY - from the switch to fiber for long haul, metro, access, backhaul and Data Center. AppliedMicro’s 100G to 400G single-lambda PAM4 platform should perfectly complement MACOM's leadership in analog and photonic components for Data Centers.
“Notably, the IEEE recently recommended the adoption of AppliedMicro’s single lambda PAM4 solution to be an industry standard for enterprise and Data Center connectivity, positioning this technology as the solution of choice going forward. Additionally, AppliedMicro’s Connectivity business aligns well with MACOM's differentiated, high-growth business model, offering non-GAAP gross margins well in excess of MACOM’s long term target operating model, long product life cycles, and sticky customer relationships.”
“AppliedMicro also provides value-added technologies including SerDes, high speed analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters with industry-leading engineering competencies and long product lifecycles. Importantly, we expect that this transaction will establish MACOM with an incumbent position supplying strategic components and enterprise and cloud Data Center customers.”
MACOM intends to divest AppliedMicro’s well-positioned Compute business within 100 days from closing the transaction, as the business does not strategically align with MACOM’s long-term focus. AppliedMicro has been exploring strategic options for the Compute business and there is known strategic interest among several potential buyers and investors. MACOM will continue to support Compute customers and partners during this transition.
“This is an exciting day for AppliedMicro, and we are pleased to be joining forces with MACOM. The transaction affirms the value that our employees have created and provides a strong path forward for our Connectivity business while delivering AppliedMicro stockholders a robust premium,” said Paramesh Gopi, President and CEO, AppliedMicro. “This transaction will create an industry powerhouse with the scale, deep customer relationships, innovative technology, and enabling products that will help deliver explosive growth in Enterprise and Cloud Data Centers. In addition, this agreement provides a promising path forward for the Compute business, which is in the process of bringing AppliedMicro’s highly-competitive third-generation X-Gene processor to market. X-Gene is well-positioned to address the large opportunity for mainstream server processors with its proven high performance cores, scalable interconnect and high per socket memory capabilities.”
MACOM intends to commence a tender offer to purchase each outstanding common share of AppliedMicro for approximately $8.36 per share, consisting of $3.25 in cash and 0.1089 MACOM shares per share of AppliedMicro. MACOM will assume certain equity awards held by AppliedMicro employees. The transaction value is approximately $770 million in diluted equity value, or approximately $688 million net of AppliedMicro’s cash position of approximately $82 million as of September 30, 2016. The transaction is expected to be accretive to MACOM's non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating margin and non-GAAP EPS in fiscal year 2017, excluding the Compute business. AppliedMicro stockholders are expected to own approximately 15% of the combined company on a pro forma basis. MACOM expects to pay the cash portion of the acquisition price from cash on hand. The boards of directors of both companies have approved the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals. MACOM currently expects the transaction to close in the first calendar quarter of 2017.
Evercore is acting as exclusive financial advisor and Ropes & Gray LLP is serving as legal counsel to MACOM.
Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC is acting as exclusive financial advisor and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP is serving as legal counsel to AppliedMicro. The board of directors of AppliedMicro received a fairness opinion from Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC and Needham & Company, LLC.
To keep up on all the Mergers & Acquisitions data in real-time, go to our M&A Insider page.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Herbalife (HLF) Provides Q4, FY17 Guidance in Memorandum for $1.325B Credit Facility; Lowers FY17 Sales Guidance
- Rite Aid (RAD)/Walgreens (WBA) Antitrust Concerns Doesn't Mean Deal is Dead, Says Deutsche Bank
- Bill Barrett Corporation (BBG) Entered Confidentiality Agreement with Bonanza Creek Energy (BCEI) Pertaining to BCEI's Chapter 11 Proceeding
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesSpecial Reports
Related EntitiesCiti, Morgan Stanley, Needham & Company, Barclays, Twitter, Crude Oil, Notable Mergers and Acquisitions, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!