Notable Merger and Acquisition of the Day 2/14: [(GOOG)/(MMI) (BIIB)]
- LinkedIn (LNKD) Tops Q2 EPS by 25c
- Market Wrap: Revised Q2 GDP Misses Mark; SoulCycle Files for IPO; LinkedIn Limps on Premium Sub Slowdown
- Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) in Talks to Combine with Other Bottlers - WSJ
- After-Hours Stock Movers 07/30: (YRCW) (COLM) (ZLTQ) Higher; (OCLS) (EA) (LNKD) Lower (more...)
- Amgen (AMGN) Tops Q2 EPS by 14c, Raises FY Guidance
- Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and Motorola Mobility (NYSE: MMI) received approval from U.S. and European regulators Monday for the proposed $12.5 billion combination.
The EU approved the deal, but said it would closely monitor developments moving forward to ensure Google and Motorola don't cross over into antitrust territory. Announced last August, the deal has Google paying $40 per share for Motorola.
- Biogen Idec (Nasdaq: BIIB) and Stromedix, Inc. today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Biogen Idec will acquire Stromedix Inc., a privately held biotechnology company focused on innovative therapies for fibrosis and organ failure. Under the terms of the agreement, Biogen Idec will make an upfront cash payment of $75 million and additional contingent value payments of up to $487.5 million based on the achievement of certain development and approval milestones across multiple indications.
Stromedix’s lead candidate, STX-100, is a novel humanized monoclonal antibody that selectively disrupts the TGF-beta pathway, which plays a central role in fibrotic disease. STX-100 exhibited significant anti-fibrotic activity in preclinical animal models of fibrotic disease and demonstrated an attractive safety and tolerability profile in a Phase 1 trial. Stromedix has also identified a series of clinical biomarkers that reflects the biological activity of STX-100. STX-100 is entering a Phase 2 trial in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), a debilitating and almost uniformly fatal disease in which patients experience progressive difficulty breathing due to fibrosis (scarring) of the lung. More than 200,000 patients in the United States and Europe have IPF, and there is no FDA-approved treatment for the disease at this time. STX-100 has potential in several additional fibrotic indications given its selective mechanism of action. In addition to STX-100, Stromedix has a preclinical compound that may have utility for the treatment of injury due to inflammation.
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 7/30: (QUIK) (MEP) (WPCS) Higher; (PVA) (ESI) (LNCO) Lower
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 07/30: (UNIS) (SKX) (WDC) Higher; (LNCO) (SSYS) (WFM) (FB) Lower (more...)
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 7/30: (GWW) (COWN)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesSpecial Reports
Related EntitiesMotorola Mobility/Google
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!