St. Jude Medical (STJ) Mentioned as Short at Muddy Waters
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
- Wall Street slips on earnings; Apple falls late after results
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Posts Q3 EPS of $0.27; Comps Miss Views; Additional Stock Buyback Approved
- Pandora (P) Misses Q3 EPS by 1c, Q4 Revenue Guidance Falls Short
- After-Hours Movers 10/25: (OGXI) (AKAM) (VRTX) Higher; (EW) (NUVA) (CMG) (AAPL) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
(Updated - August 25, 2016 10:57 AM EDT)
St. Jude Medical (NYSE: STJ) was mentioned cautiously by short seller Muddy Waters Research. The report suggests that close to half of STJ’s revenue could disappear for approximately two years as the company's pacemakers, ICDs, and CRTs should be recalled amid cyberattack risk.
"STJ’s pacemakers, ICDs, and CRTs might – and in our view, should – be recalled and remediated. (These devices collectively were 46% of STJ’s 2015 revenue.)," said Muddy Waters. "Based on conversations with industry experts, we estimate remediation would take at least two years. Even lacking a recall, the product safety issues we present in this report offer unnecessary health risks and should receive serious notice among hospitals, physicians and cardiac patients."
The report added, "We have seen demonstrations of two types of cyber attacks against STJ implantable cardiac devices (“Cardiac Devices”): a “crash” attack that causes Cardiac Devices to malfunction – including by apparently pacing at a potentially dangerous rate; and, a battery drain attack that could be particularly harmful to device dependent users. Despite having no background in cybersecurity, Muddy Waters has been able to replicate in-house key exploits that help to enable these attacks."
Shares of St. Jude are lower by about 2% on the session.
SI NOTE: St. Jude Medical, Inc (NYSE: STJ) is in a deal to be acquired by Abbott (NYSE: ABT). Under the agreement, St. Jude Medical shareholders will receive $46.75 in cash and 0.8708 shares of Abbott common stock.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- FDA Advises Patients With St. Jude Medical (STJ) Heart Implants to Continue Using Devices - Reuters
- VMWare (VMW) puts more active than calls into Q3 and outlook
- Muddy Waters Post Video of St. Jude Medical (STJ) Device Hacks
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesShort Sales, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesMuddy Waters LLC
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!