Washington police veteran named interim chief
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) in Advanced Talks to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A longtime deputy to outgoing Washington Police Chief Cathy Lanier has been named interim chief while the search is under way for her replacement, Mayor Muriel Bowser said on Tuesday.
Peter Newsham, who will step in for Lanier, has been an assistant chief at the Metropolitan Police Department since 2002. He is head of the Investigative Services Bureau and formerly ran the internal affairs unit, Bowser said in a statement.
Newsham, who holds a law degree, will take over for Lanier starting Sept. 17, she said.
Lanier, 49, said last week she would step down next month to become chief security officer for the National Football League. Lanier, who spent 26 years with the Washington force, oversaw a downturn in violent crime in the U.S. capital while building ties with the local community.
Bowser said the search for a replacement for Lanier has begun inside and outside the department. A job announcement will be published in coming days, she said.
(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Egyptians losing patience with Sisi as economy deteriorates
- AT&T-Time Warner may signal start of new media industry consolidation
- Door to Lebanese presidency 'wide open', will vote for Aoun: Hezbollah