UK's Nigel Farage, scourge of EU, raises eyebrows as he bows out with naked swim
- Top 10 News for 9/19 - 9/23: Twitter on the Auction Block; Allergan Bolsters NASH Effort; Microsoft Returns Value
- Wall Street falls as energy lags; shares post gains on week
- Rumored Forever, Twitter (TWTR) May Have Finally Put the 'For Sale' Sign Up
- Facebook (FB) Shares Under Pressure on Reports Video Ad Metrics Were Artificially Inflated
- Brookfield Infrastructure (BIP)-Led Consortium to Take Controlling Stake in Petrobras' (PBR) NTS for $5.2B
Nigel Farage, the outgoing leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP), gestures as he arrives at the party's annual conference in Bournemouth, Britain, September 16, 2016. REUTERS/Toby Melville
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
BOURNEMOUTH, England (Reuters) - Nigel Farage bowed out as leader of Britain's UK Independence Party by enjoying a naked swim in the sea, according to the party's main donor who also took part in the skinny dipping escapade.
Businessman Arron Banks said he and Farage, who was replaced by Diane James as leader of the anti-EU party on Friday, had stripped off for the swim on Thursday night in Bournemouth on England's south coast where the party is holding its conference.
"We had dinner last night, a few drinks, it was late at night and we went skinny dipping off the Bournemouth Pier," Banks told BBC radio late on Friday. "If ever a man's about to leave British politics, that's it."
The news provoked much amused comment on social media while opposition Labour lawmaker Angela Eagle who was on the same radio program said: "What a revolting image. I think there should be a law against it."
It's not the first time Farage has taken part in naked swimming. He admitted last year he had gone skinny dipping in the English Channel in his youth in the middle of the night.
(Reporting by William James and Michael Holden; Editing by Gareth Jones)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Baseball world mourns boating death of Miami Marlins star Fernandez
- From prairie to the White House: Inside a Tribe's quest to stop a pipeline
- Clinton and Trump to square off in highly anticipated debate showdown
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!