UK plane in 'incredibly concerning' near miss with drone: police
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
- Wall Street slips on earnings; Apple falls late after results
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Posts Q3 EPS of $0.27; Comps Miss Views; Additional Stock Buyback Approved
- Pandora (P) Misses Q3 EPS by 1c, Q4 Revenue Guidance Falls Short
- After-Hours Movers 10/25: (OGXI) (AKAM) (VRTX) Higher; (EW) (NUVA) (CMG) (AAPL) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
LONDON (Reuters) - A passenger plane has narrowly avoided being hit by a drone in what police on Thursday called an "incredibly concerning" near miss as it approached an airport in southwest England.
The aircraft, carrying 62 people, was traveling at about 900 feet (274 meters) as it prepared to land at Newquay Airport in Cornwall on Wednesday afternoon when it reported a near miss with the drone which was flying alongside.
"This is an incredibly concerning incident; the close proximity of the drone to the passenger aircraft shows a complete disregard by the operator for public safety," said Inspector Dave Meredith from Devon and Cornwall Police.
Officers searched the nearby area but found neither the drone nor its operator.
The incident was the latest in a series involving drones and commercial aircraft.
In April, police said a British Airways passenger jet was hit by what most likely was a drone as it prepared to land at London's Heathrow Airport, Europe's busiest airport.
The plane landed safely but the increasing use of drones for commercial purposes, photography or leisure has led to fears they pose a serious risk to passenger aircraft.
Britain's Civil Aviation Authority last year issued a warning after seven incidents in less than 12 months where drones had flown near planes at different British airports.
(Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Stephen Addison)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Alaska governor halts sale of pension obligation bonds
- Women and men won't reach economic equality until 2186, index says
- A BAT deal with Reynolds adds to Big Tobacco's e-cig advantage
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!