UK debt purchase firm to compensate 500,000 clients, write off $509 million
- Wall Street dips as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- Western Union (WU) Admits Anti-Money Laundering and Consumer Fraud Violations, Forfeits $586M in Settlement
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- Apple (AAPL) PT Raised to $140 at BofA/Merrill Lynch; iPhone 8 Will be 'Super-Long' Cycle
- Morgan Stanley Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight
The logo of the new Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is seen at the agency's headquarters in the Canary Wharf business district of London April 1, 2013. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
LONDON (Reuters) - Motormile Finance UK, a debt purchase and collections company, has been ordered to compensate 500,000 customers and write off 414 million pounds ($509 million) in debt by the UK markets regulator over historic systems and controls failures.
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said on Wednesday that customers, who had been pursued unfairly for debt recovery, would receive 154,000 pounds cash after Motormile failed to properly check how much customers owed.
Motormile, which also trades as MMF, MMF Debt Purchase and MMF UK, has since amended its processes, systems and controls. It has rolled out a bespoke new IT system, appointed a new chief executive and has agreed to the compensation package.
($1 = 0.8134 pounds)
(Reporting by Kirstin Ridley; Editing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Senior U.S. spy, diplomats leaving despite being asked to stay on
- U.S. appeals court voids Chicago gun range limits
- Bankers expect Britain to back Brexit transition calls
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!