U.S. mortgage activity index falls to lowest since May: MBA
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Homes are seen for sale in the northwest area of Portland, Oregon March 20, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Dipaola
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A measure of U.S. mortgage application activity fell to its lowest level in nearly five months in the latest week even as 30-year mortgage rates declined from four-month highs, data from the Mortgage Bankers Association released on Wednesday showed.
The Washington-based industry group's mortgage market index on a seasonally adjusted basis fell 4.1 percent to 492.0 in the week ended Oct. 21, which was the lowest level since the week of May 27.
Interest rates on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages, which are the most widely held type of U.S. home loans, averaged 3.71 percent, down 2 basis points from the latest week, MBA said.
The group's seasonally adjusted index on weekly applications to buy a home fell 6.9 percent to 207.8 last week, which was the lowest since January.
The purchase activity gauge is seen as a proxy on home sales which have been encouraging.
In September, new home sales unexpectedly rose 3.1 percent, while home resales rebounded by 3.2 percent following back-to-back months of declines.
MBA's weekly barometer on refinancing requests declined by 2.3 percent to 2,122.5, which was the weakest since June.
The share of refinancing activity rose to 62.7 percent of total applications from 61.5 percent the previous week.
(Reporting by Richard Leong; Editing by W Simon and Bill Trott)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- First gorilla born in captivity, age 59, returns to Ohio zoo after surgery
- Twin bombing outside Istanbul soccer stadium kills 29, wounds 166
- About 40 cars in pile-up on snowy highway near Detroit
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!