U.S. crude, gasoline stocks build unexpectedly as refineries cut output - EIA
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
A maze of crude oil pipes and valves is pictured during a tour by the Department of Energy at the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in Freeport, Texas, U.S. June 9, 2016. REUTERS/Richard Carson
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
By David Gaffen
(Reuters) - U.S. crude and gasoline inventories rose unexpectedly last week as refineries cut output, the U.S. Energy Information Administration said on Wednesday, prompting a drop in oil futures.
"The report is bearish, especially relative to expectations, led by the rise in crude oil inventories that was due to the refinery utilization declines and large rise in imports," said John Kilduff, partner at New York energy hedge fund Again Capital.
U.S. crude imports
Refinery crude runs
The weekly data shows that gasoline stocks in the U.S. Gulf Coast reached a seasonal high not seen since 2013, which could reflect decreased activity due to weaker demand.
Overall, the surprising build in gasoline stocks leaves a "substantial 8.5 percent year-on-year inventory surplus in place with little time left in the driving season," said Tim Evans, Citigroup energy analyst, in a note.
After the data, U.S. gasoline futures
Crude stocks at the Cushing, Oklahoma, delivery hub for U.S. crude futures
(Reporting by David Gaffen; Additional reporting by Barani Krishnan; Editing by Marguerita Choy)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Citi Downgrades AK Steel (AKS) to Sell
- Geffen's estate purchase tops Hamptons luxury home sales in 2016
- Samsung Electronics says to hold Galaxy Note 7 briefing on January 23
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesOil Inventories, Citi, Hedge Funds, Crude Oil
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!