Turkish PM says nationalist support important for constitutional change
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim addresses members of parliament from his ruling AK Party (AKP) during a meeting at the Turkish parliament in Ankara, Turkey, October 4, 2016. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
ANKARA (Reuters) - Support from Turkey's nationalist opposition is important to win the necessary majority for proposed changes to the constitution, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Tuesday.
Speaking to members of his ruling AK Party at a meeting in parliament, Yildirim said the AKP had concluded its work on its proposals - which would create an executive presidency - and was ready to submit the package to parliament.
President Tayyip Erdogan, who founded the AKP, has long sought a presidency with greater power. Critics fear the change could consolidate too much power in his hands.
(Reporting by Ercan Gurses and Humeyra Pamuk; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Nick Tattersall)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Funeral of major graft probe judge killed in plane crash
- Turkey orders more than 400 arrests in post-coup probes: report
- Blast kills at least 21 in Pakistan vegetable market, says official
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!