Turkey's ruling AKP hopes for nationalist support on constitutional change, PM says
- Oil steadies on doubts output cut will end global glut
- Western Digital (WDC) Raises Q2 Outlook
- Dollar edges up vs yen as traders eye ECB meeting for cues
- Mondelez Int'l (MDLZ) Seen as Kraft Heinz's (KHC) Next Logical Takeover Target - Credit Suisse
- Foxconn says in preliminary discussions to expand U.S. operations
Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim addresses members of parliament from his ruling AK Party (AKP) during a meeting at the Turkish parliament in Ankara, Turkey, November 8, 2016. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey's ruling AK Party hopes to make constitutional changes that could give President Tayyip Erdogan more power with the support of the nationalist opposition party, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Friday.
Yildirim met with the chairman of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), Devlet Bahceli, on Thursday to discuss changing the constitution, after which Bahceli made comments on Twitter indicating his party may support constitutional changes that could give Erdogan the stronger presidency he has long sought.
"MHP leader Mr Bahceli has once again put the future of the nation first with foresight and patriotism, putting aside political goals, and we will carry out the constitutional change with the MHP," Yildirim said in a speech at a ceremony in the Black Sea town of Rize, broadcast live on television.
(Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by David Dolan)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- T-Mobile (TMUS), Sprint (S), Twitter (TWTR) Gain on Trump SoftBank Tweet
- Nobel laureate says Trump policies may lead to budget problems
- EU optimistic Basel bank capital deal can be reached in January
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!