Turkey's Erdogan tells Europe to make decision on EU application quickly
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- Synergy Pharma (SGYP) Trulance (Plecanatide) Approved by FDA
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the International Istanbul Law Congress in Istanbul, Turkey, October 17, 2016. REUTERS/Murad Sezer
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - The European Union should make it final decision on Turkey's application to join the bloc quickly, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday, highlighting his frustration over the long stalemate between Ankara and Brussels.
"Reassess it, but do not delay in reassessing it. Make your final decision," Erdogan said in a speech in Istanbul, which was broadcast live on television.
The European Union has recently stepped up criticism of Turkey's crackdown on opponents and alleged plotters behind a failed coup, drawing a sharp retort from Ankara, which accuses Europe of failing to grasp the threats it faces.
(Reporting by Daren Butler; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Nick Tattersall)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fed's Williams says does not see elevated level of uncertainty
- Trump to visit CIA headquarters on Saturday: transition official
- Walgreens to pay $50 million to resolve U.S. prescription kickback case
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!