Turkey detains nine more officials of pro-Kurdish party: HDP official
- Consumer staples stocks help Wall St. pare some losses
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Verizon Communications (VZ) May Acquire Big Cable Company - NYP (CHTR) (CMCSA)
- Citron Research Negative on Lannett (LCI); Sees Shares at 'Zero' Over Long Term
- Einhorn's Greenlight Mentions Caterpillar (CAT) Short in Q4 Letter; Doesn't See Disney (DIS) Buying Netflix (NFLX)
Selahattin Demirtas (L) and Figen Yuksekdag, co-chairs of the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democracy Party, address their party members as they start their campaign for Turkey's November 1 parliamentary elections, during a meeting in Ankara October 2, 2015. REUTE
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish authorities detained nine officials from the country's main pro-Kurdish opposition party on Saturday, a party official said, a day after the party's leaders were formally arrested.
The nine officials included the provincial and district heads of the pro-Kurdish opposition Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) in the southeastern province of Adana, the official said.
HDP co-leaders Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yuksekdag were arrested on Friday as part of a terrorism investigation, prompting strong international condemnation of a widening crackdown on dissent under President Tayyip Erdogan.
(Reporting by Gulsen Solaker; Writing by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Catherine Evans)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Swiss watchmakers cautiously optimistic for U.S., China in 2017
- Fraudsters use sham UK charity appeals to steal money via emails, social media
- Facebook's virtual-reality tech was not stolen, Zuckerberg testifies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!