Trump election holds lessons for Europe: ECB's Coeure
- S&P little changed as energy weighs but financials edge up
- Nestle Said Examining Takeover of Mead Johnson (MJN) - Source
- Fed's Yellen says 'makes sense' to gradually raise interest rates
- UPDATE: Fed Beige Book: Wages gain modestly in most areas amid tight job market
- Mallinckrodt (MNK) Announces FTC Settlement
Benoit Coeure, member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank (ECB), attends a Lamfalussy Lectures Conference in Budapest, Hungary February 1, 2016. REUTERS/Laszlo Balogh
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The election of Donald Trump is a major event with lessons for Europe but it is too early to determine if the European Central Bank needs to act to temper the ensuing market volatility, Executive Board member Benoit Coeure told a French newspaper.
"It holds a lesson for Europe: in a world where shocks are increasing, Europe must keep control of its destiny," Coeure told Le Progrès de Lyon on Friday. "For Europe to be strong in terms of defense and security, it must have a strong economy. And for the economy to be strong, reforms are needed in every country and the euro area must function better."
Coeure added that excessive market volatility must be avoided but for now, the euro zone recovery appeared to be gaining strength.
(Reporting by Balazs Koranyi; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Obama says new ties with Cuba made 'wet-foot, dry-foot' policy obsolete
- U.S. begins patent probe of graphics processors, DDR memory controllers
- Germany says boosting defense spending, demands clear U.S. agenda
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump, European Central Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!