Tesla will release Autopilot update 'in weeks': Musk
- Top 10 News for 10/24 - 10/28: AT&T (T), Time Warner Make it Official; Margins Hamper Apple's Q4; Mergers Aplenty
- Wall St. falls as FBI to review more Clinton emails
- Clinton email problem resurfaces as FBI announces review
- ExxonMobil (XOM) Tops Q3 EPS by 5c; CapEx Light of Views
- Baker Hughes (BHI), General Electric (GE) in Partnership Talks, Not Merger Talks
The Tesla Model S version 7.0 software update containing Autopilot features is demonstrated during a Tesla event in Palo Alto, California, U.S., October 14, 2015. REUTERS/Beck Diefenbach/File Photo
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) plans to release an update of its partly automated self-driving system "in a few weeks," Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted on Wednesday.
Improvements to Tesla's Autopilot system, including advanced processing of radar signals, would be detailed in a blog post on the company's website later on Wednesday, the tweet said.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating a May 7 fatality in Florida in which a driver using Tesla's Autopilot system crashed into a truck.
Tesla’s Autopilot system uses cameras and radar, but not laser-based lidar as some other self-driving systems do. The company said its system would have had trouble distinguishing a white semi-trailer positioned across a road against a bright sky.
Musk was asked on Twitter why the vehicle's radar did not detect the truck. Musk tweeted on June 30 that "radar tunes out what looks like an overhead road sign to avoid false braking events."
In a tweet on Wednesday, Musk said software enhancements to Autopilot will be delivered wirelessly to owners' vehicles.
(Reporting by Paul Lienert in Detroit; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) Sets New Start Time for Oct. 28th Solar Roof Event
- After-Hours Stock Movers 10/26: (OCN) (CAKE) (FFIV) Higher; (RWLK) (GRPN) (AKS) Lower (more...)
- U.S. Supreme Court takes up major transgender rights case
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesTwitter, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!