Taiwan taskforce to supervise probe into Mega Financial's New York branch: premier
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- China Oceanwide to Acquire Genworth Financial (GNW) for $2.7B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
The logo of Mega International Commercial Bank is seen in Taipei, Taiwan August 23, 2016. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's premier said on Tuesday the government has formed an emergency taskforce to supervise its investigation into Mega Financial's <2886.TW> New York operations following the bank's fine by U.S. regulators.
"There have been so many questions and concerns raised by people," premier Lin Chuan told an unscheduled briefing. "We will discuss these questions and concerns and hand them over to the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) and the Ministry of Justice to clarify as soon as possible," he said.
The FSC said last week it will send inspectors to Mega Financial's banking branches in New York and Panama as part of its probe into the state-run bank.
The New York branch of Mega Financial has agreed to pay $180 million to New York state's financial regulator for anti-money laundering violations that included lax attention to risk exposure in Panama.
(Reporting by Faith Hung; Editing by Sam Holmes)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Japan's exports fall as yen gains, rising volume eases some concerns
- Oil prices drop as Iraq says doesn't want to join OPEC cut
- U.S. options market not very 'Trumped up' ahead of vote
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!