Starboard sets date for special meeting of Depomed shareholders
- Top 10 News for 9/26 - 9/30: Deutsche Bank Soars on Settlement; Twitter Back in the M&A Fray; Nike 'Just Didn't Do It' in Q1
- Wall Street rallies, led by Deutsche Bank, financials
- Viacom (VIAB) Forms Special Committee; Will Explore Potential Combination with CBS (CBS)
- Deutsche Bank (DB) Said Near $5.4B Settlement with U.S. - AFP
- Oil up second straight month on OPEC-fueled rally
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Activist investor Starboard Value LP, which owns 9.8 percent of drugmaker Depomed Inc (NASDAQ: DEPO) and wants to oust the company's board, said on Monday it had won enough support from shareholders to set Nov. 15 as the date for a special meeting.
The hedge fund has criticized Depomed's board over alleged governance deficiencies and urged it to explore a sale.
Starboard has also said Depomed had taken a "series of shareholder-unfriendly steps," referring to its rejection of takeover offers from Horizon Pharma Plc (NASDAQ: HZNP) last year.
Reuters, citing people familiar with the matter, reported earlier this month that Depomed was preparing to put itself up for sale.
However, Starboard said on Monday it was "extremely concerned" that any potential sale process may not be genuine, but a smokescreen to distract from the board changes it wants.
(Reporting by Natalie Grover in Bengaluru; Editing by Ted Kerr)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Depomed (DEPO) Announces Favorable Ruling on NUCYNTA Providing Market Exclusivity Until December 2025
- Delta, pilots negotiators reach deal for new contract
- Horizon Pharma (HZNP) Enters Settlement agreement with Express Scripts (ESRX); Will Pay $65M
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesHedge Funds, Starboard Value
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!