Spotify in advanced talks to buy SoundCloud: FT
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Earphones are seen on a tablet screen with a Spotify logo on it, in Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina, February 20, 2014. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
(Reuters) - Swedish music-streaming service provider Spotify is in advanced talks to acquire German rival SoundCloud, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people briefed on the discussions.
SoundCloud's founders and investors were exploring strategic options for the company, including a sale, that could value it at $1 billion, Bloomberg reported in July, citing people familiar with the matter.
The FT story did not provide more details.
Music-streaming companies have struggled to turn a profit amid rising competition from larger players such as Apple Inc.
Amazon.com Inc is also preparing to launch a standalone music-streaming subscription service, Reuters reported in June, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
SoundCloud declined to comment, while Spotify could not immediately be reached for comment.
(Reporting by Ismail Shakil in Bengaluru; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Silgan (SLGN) to Acquire WestRock's (WRK) Specialty Closures and Dispensing Systems Business for $1.03B
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (BMY) PT Lowered to $47 at BMO Capital; See Much Uncertainty and Increased Risk
- Time (TIME) Announces Agreement to Acquire Adelphic