Soros Fund Management slashes gold stake in second quarter
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
Business magnate George Soros arrives to speak at the Open Russia Club in London, Britain June 20, 2016. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
By Marcy Nicholson
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Soros Fund Management LLC sharply cut its shares in gold in the second quarter, when bullion prices rose to two-year highs, regulatory filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission showed on Monday.
The fund, which returned to the world's biggest gold exchange-traded fund SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE: GLD) in the first quarter of 2016 after a three-year absence, sharply cut his stake in the second quarter.
Billionaire financier George Soros' fund reduced its holdings in SPDR Gold Trust to 240,000 shares worth $30.4 million, from 1.05 million shares worth $123.5 million in the first quarter.
Soros also drastically cut its stake in Barrick Gold Corp (NYSE: ABX) to 1.07 million shares worth $22.9 million, from 19.4 million shares in the first three months of 2016, the filing showed.
"Investors have been more proactive cutting holdings in the miners, some of whom have drastically outperformed the underlying in the first half of the year," said Tai Wong, director of base and precious metals trading for BMO Capital Markets in New York.
"It may not suggest that they are necessarily bearish gold but rather taking opportune profit."
The move came as spot gold prices
Prices rallied in June, when the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union.
New York-based Paulson & Co, led by John Paulson, kept its stake in SPDR Gold Trust unchanged in the second quarter at 4.78 million shares worth $603.9 million. They were worth nearly $562 million in the first quarter, a May 13F filing showed.
(Reporting by Marcy Nicholson; Editing by Tom Brown, Bernard Orr)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- NYSE to Suspend Trading in MGT Capital Investments (MGT); Will Move to Delist
- Altra Industrial Motion (AIMC) Reports Inline Q3 EPS; Narrows FY16 Outlook; Approves $30M Stock Buyback Plan
- Alkermes' (ALKS) FORWARD-5 Pivotal Phase 3 Study of ALKS 5461 for Major Depressive Disorder Mets Primary Endpoint
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesBMO Capital, Paulson & Co. (PCI), Soros Fund Management, Second Curve Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!