Six killed in suspected Islamist attack in Kenya: regional governor
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
- Wall Street slips on earnings; Apple falls late after results
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Posts Q3 EPS of $0.27; Comps Miss Views; Additional Stock Buyback Approved
- Pandora (P) Misses Q3 EPS by 1c, Q4 Revenue Guidance Falls Short
- After-Hours Movers 10/25: (OGXI) (AKAM) (VRTX) Higher; (EW) (NUVA) (CMG) (AAPL) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
NAIROBI (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist militants from the Somali group al Shabaab killed six people in an attack in northeast Kenya on Thursday, a regional governor said.
The Mandera region on the Somali border has often been targeted by al Shabaab, which says it will continue its campaign of attacks in Kenya until the Kenyan government withdraws its troops from Somalia where they are part of an African force.
"We have suffered another sad attack," the governor of Mandera county, Ali Roba, wrote on Twitter, saying six people had been confirmed killed.
"If not for the quick response by our security forces, we would be talking of many more casualties now," Roba told Reuters by telephone. "From the nature and style of the attack, it will obviously be al Shabaab."
Kenya's Daily Nation said on its website that the attack occurred early in the morning at a public works site.
There was no immediate comment from al Shabaab.
Repeated in attacks in Kenya by al Shabaab have killed hundreds of people in the past three years or so and hammered the country's vital tourism industry.
The assaults have often been in the northeast, near the long and porous border with Somalia, but the group has also struck coastal areas popular with tourists and the capital Nairobi, where al Shabaab gunman attacked Westgate shopping mall in 2013.
(Reporting by Joseph Akwiri; Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Nick Macfie)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Earthquake of 5.6 magnitude strikes off Tonga: USGS
- Thai police chief says no room for royal insult in Thailand
- Spain reviewing refueling permission for Russian warships
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!