Salesforce urges EU to probe Microsoft, Linkedin antitrust issues
- Stock futures rise as flurry of deal activity boosts confidence
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- TD Ameritrade (AMTD) to Acquire Scottrade in $4B Cash & Stock Deal
- Oil prices fall as Iraq resists joining output cut
A 3D printed logo of Microsoft is seen in front of a displayed LinkedIn logo in this illustration taken June 13, 2016. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. software company Salesforce called on EU regulators on Thursday to investigate antitrust issues related to Microsoft's $26 billion bid for social network LinkedIn.
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) is expected to seek EU antitrust approval in the coming weeks for its largest ever deal.
"By gaining ownership of LinkedIn's unique dataset of over 450 million professionals in more than 200 countries, Microsoft will be able to deny competitors access to that data, and in doing so obtain an unfair competitive advantage," Burke Norton, Salesforce's chief legal officer, said in a statement.
"Salesforce believes this raises significant antitrust and data privacy issues that need to be fully scrutinized by competition and data privacy authorities in the United States and in the European Union," he said.
Brad Smith, Microsoft's president and chief legal officer, said in a statement: "Salesforce may not be aware, but the deal has already been cleared to close in the United States, Canada, and Brazil. We're committed to continuing to work to bring price competition to a CRM market in which Salesforce is the dominant participant charging customers higher prices today."
The European Commission's preliminary review of merger deals lasts 25 working days, which can be extended by about four months if it has serious concerns.
(Reporting by Foo Yun Chee; Editing by Francesco Guarascio and Sandra Maler)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- HNA Group to Acquire 25% Stake in Hilton Worldwide (HLT) from Blackstone (BX)
- Amdocs (DOX) Is A Winner In The Time Warner/AT&T Merger - Oppenheimer
- Community Bank System (CBU) to Acquire Merchants Bancshares (MBVT) in ~$304M Deal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!