Russia fails to reach settlement with Google in Android case
- Dollar lower, stocks flat as caution creeps in ahead of Trump inauguration
- General Electric (GE) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Tops Q2 EPS by 2c
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
Android mascots are lined up in the demonstration area at the Google I/O Developers Conference in the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California, May 10, 2011. REUTERS/Beck Diefenbach
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's state anti-monopoly watchdog FAS said on Tuesday it and Alphabet Inc's Google had failed to reach an out-of-court settlement in a case over Google's Android operating system, Interfax news agency reported.
The watchdog last week imposed a 438 million ruble ($6.85 million) fine on Google after ruling last year that the firm was abusing its dominance by requiring the pre-installation of certain applications on mobile devices using Android, following a complaint by Russia's Yandex.
Google had appealed the ruling while FAS said an out-of court deal was possible should Google admit to violations of antitrust laws and pay a fine.
"The talks with Google on the issue of the settlement agreement have come to nothing. Now it's up to the court to draw a line under this case," Interfax quoted Elena Zaeva, head of FAS's Department for Regulation of Telecommunications and Information Technology, as saying.
Zaeva was quoted as saying a court would hear Google's appeal on Wednesday.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
(Reporting by Maria Kiselyova; Editing by Lidia Kelly and Jane Merriman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- 'Trump trades' on ice ahead of U.S. inauguration: BAML
- Media Markt trials service to rent drones, VR headsets
- P&G profit and sales beat Wall Street estimates
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesMerriman Curhan Ford
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!