Rogers Communications committed to dividend growth - deputy chairman
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
A sign stands in front of Rogers Communications Inc. building on the day of their annual general meeting for shareholders in Toronto, April 21, 2015. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
TORONTO (Reuters) - Rogers Communications Inc
The Toronto-based company said on Monday it expects to shoulder between C$100 million ($75.68 million) and C$140 million in losses from the wind-down of the service, which was a response to the threat Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX) posed to Rogers' cable television business.
"We've aspired to move beyond just the television, and Shomi was one foray into that," said Edward Rogers, whose family controls the company built by his late father.
"While that didn't work to what was planned, it hasn't diminished our enthusiasm and hunger to invest," he added, referencing a plan to launch an Internet-enabled television product by the end of this year.
The company's biggest rival, BCE Inc (NYSE: BCE), already has 1.27 million customers for its own Internet-based TV product.
Rogers made the comments after unveiling his family's plan to invest C$1.5 billion over 10 to 15 years to build a 10-tower condominium development in Mississauga, just west of Toronto.
He said that plan would have no impact on the family's ownership of the public company, which he said he still sees as a dividend-growth stock.
"We are committing to our company, committed to the people that own our shares and thanking them and giving back to them in the form of dividends as the company grows," he said.
(Reporting by Alastair Sharp)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Summit Materials (SUM) Declares Special Stock Dividend of 0.012 Shares
- Fake U.S. embassy in Ghana shut down after decade issuing visas
- Sense of duty draws U.S. veterans to Dakota pipeline protest
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!