Rio bomb squad blows up backpack near cycling course: official
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) in Advanced Talks to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
A police bomb squad inspect an unattended backpack that they exploded near the end of the Rio Olympics cycling course in Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 6, 2016. REUTERS/Scott Malone
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - An anti-bomb squad at the Olympic Games in Rio de detonated an unattended backpack near the end of the cycling course on Saturday, a spokeswoman for the public security department said.
Officials expect the bag may have belonged to a homeless man, but protocol requires any unattended objects to be destroyed, she said. The controlled blast occurred at 1:45 p.m. (12:45 p.m. EDT), the spokeswoman said.
(Reporting by Caroline Stauffer; Editing by Daniel Flynn)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sanaa air raids resume as Yemen truce expires: residents
- Trump uses policy speech to attack media, promises to sue accusers
- Taliban release drone footage of suicide attack
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!