Reagans' personal items to be auctioned in New York
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
A statue of former U.S. President Ronald Reagan is seen after being unveiled outside the U.S. embassy in London July 4, 2011. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Furniture, jewelry and cowboy boots are among the more than 700 personal items that once belonged to U.S. President Ronald Reagan and first lady Nancy Reagan set for sale by auctioneer Christie's in New York starting on Monday.
"It's the private side of a very public life," said Johnathan Rendell of Christie's. "A lot of the things on sale went with them from California to the White House and then came home again."
Nancy Reagan died in March while Ronald Reagan died in 2004. The auction is expected to generate more than $2 million dollars, with the money going to The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute.
Rendell said the couple lived modestly. "This is not an incredibly lavish lifestyle. There are a lot of things that relate to their spending time together. Almost everything comes in pairs. They were notoriously devoted to each other and that really shows."
Among the items are cowboy boots that were a gift from Western actor Rex Allen and embossed with the U.S. presidential seal, expected to sell for to $20,000.
The top lot of the sale is Mrs. Reagan's diamond and gold lion pendant necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels expected to sell for $30,000 to $50,000.
There will be an online auction for the collection from Monday until Sept. 27 at http://bit.ly/2cUHEvW. A live auction will be held Wednesday and Thursday.
(Reporting by Reuters TV; Writing by Melissa Fares in New York)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Linde to Resume Talks with Praxair (PX); Appoints Belloni as CEO
- Polar vortex redux? U.S. forecasters say it could hit next week
- In fossil rarity, tumor found in 255-million-year-old beast
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!